• Nate_Bit_Games

Weekly Update #13 - Back in Action

Hello again fellow gamers and devs!

After a week working on fixing my computer I am happy to announce it is back up and running! Unfortunately, my main hard drive was wiped in the process but luckily my backup drive was still okay and up to date. Not sure what the issue was but I suspect it was a hardware issue with my CPU or CPU fan that may have fried the hard drive but not certain. Just happy I'm back up and running.

Upon having to reinstall everything I released a new issue I need to fix with Probe now that was an oversight on my part so the update and demo release will be taking a little longer. I realized my scores and progress data was all reset and booting Probe would mean wiping all my scores on the leaderboards. This seems unfair to players who may want to play on multiple computers or also suffered a similar issue like I did with my computer. So I will be updating it to where it first downloads your scores from the leaderboard and compares it to your locally saved high scores and if the leaderboard score is higher than your local save it will then save that score locally. This way if you have to play through it again (like I will need to now) you still have the satisfaction of unlocking the levels but also retain your scores on future playthroughs.

It also has come to my attention that some Probe users, a minority of them, have reported that windows firewall and other antivirus programs blocked the game and quarantined the exe file. This is a false positive and apparently is an issue for every exe game developed using the engine I developed it in, Clickteam Fusion 2.5. Discovered the developer of Distraint ran into the same issue via the Clickteam forums. Another reason I will be moving to Unity for future projects. Here is the forum post where I found this information: https://community.clickteam.com/threads/94746-Avast-reporting-executable-as-malware-false-positive-not-sure-what-to-do Basically the only way around antivirus software quarantining it in the future is to try submitting it to Avast and have it whitelisted. In order to do this I have to cut the game file size down to 50mb of just the basic coded elements to be able to send it to them for testing and registering to have it removed from being flagged on antivirus software. It may take some time to process so if anyone does not feel comfortable running it in the meantime I understand and will make a post announcing when the issue has been resolved. If for some reason that doesn't work or the process takes too long there is a paid certification method I will look into.

Was really hoping to get my demo up in time for the steam fall games festival but at least I discovered these other issues before doing so. It's also going to be a crazy next couple weeks at my day/night job preparing for Halloween (our busiest night of the year at the club I work at) but going to do my best to try to get this update and demo out as soon as possible.

Nathan Hicks

Nate Bit Games


3 views0 comments